If you or someone you know is suicidal, get help immediately via Suicide & Crisis Lifeline by dialing 988, or via the Crisis Text Line by texting “HOME” to 741741. Both the Suicide & Crisis Lifeline and the Crisis Text Line are free and confidential. You’ll be connected to a skilled, trained counselor in your area.
988 has been designated as the new three-digit dialing code that will route callers to the Suicide & Crisis Lifeline, and is now active across the United States. When people call, text, or chat 988, they will be connected to trained counselors that are part of the existing Lifeline network. These trained counselors will listen, understand how their problems are affecting them, provide support, and connect them to resources if necessary.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE LIFELINE & 988
If you or someone you know is showing the warning signs of suicide listed below, seek immediate help. Behaviors listed below may be signs that someone is thinking about suicide.
- Talking about wanting to die or wanting to kill themselves, talking about death
- Talking about feeling empty, hopeless, worthless, or trapped with no way out or having no reason to live
- Talking about not having a purpose or having no reason for living. Saying things like “It would be better if I wasn’t here,” or “I want out.”
- Planning or looking for a way to kill themselves, such as searching online, obtaining lethal items (firearms, stockpiling pills, ropes, etc.)
- Feeling unbearable pain, both physical or emotional, or intense guilt or shame
- Talking about being a burden to others
- Increased alcohol or drug use
- Acting anxious or agitated
- Withdrawing from friends, school, family and community
- Changes in sleeping and/or eating patterns
- Showing sudden rage or talking about seeking revenge
- Reckless behavior and taking risks that could lead to death, such as reckless driving
- Displaying extreme mood swings, suddenly changing from very sad to very calm or happy
- Giving away important possessions to put their affairs in order
- Saying goodbye to friends and family